DFP Header Area

Share this MunsterRugby.ie page

Match Pages - Match Information

Current standing

Match Pages - Current Standing

Head to head

Match Pages - Head to Head

Last time

Match Pages - Last Time

Recent form

Match Pages - Form Guide

Season so far

Match Page - Season so far

Munster Rugby E-zine

Sign up to the e-zine to get all the latest news directly to your inbox from Munster Rugby

Munster - Match Page - Lineups - Preview

Munster Rugby E-zine

Sign up to the e-zine to get all the latest news directly to your inbox from Munster Rugby

A Lot To Like About Munster Win

September 2, 2012 12:00 am By Munster Rugby

There was a lot to like about the way Munster went about winning (23-18) their opening RaboDirect PRO12 in a game played in front of a 4050 Murrayfield crowd

Under the cosh for periods of the first half when they twice trailed, albeit thanks to their own errors – not to mention the searing pace of Tim Visser – they responded magnificently to draw level by half time and then never relinquish the lead Ian Keatley gave them when he tapped over a 43rd minute penalty.

Visser's second try would have severely dented the morale of most sides given that it started as Munster drove for the Edinburgh line in a move that looked certain to yield a try. However, they somehow coughed up possession for the home side to go the length of the pitch for a try and 10-3 lead.

Captain Doug Howlett provided the inspiration for the equaliser, first with an incisive break and then his deft chip landing nicely for Keatley to snatch from under Greig Laidlaw's nose to dot down under the posts.

Ten all at half time, Howlett, in his first game as captain, part of an impressive back three, and leading by example, with Damien Varley, Paddy Butler, Donncha O'Callaghan and Sean Dougall, all carrying strongly, the South African pair Wian du Preez and BJ Botha also more than willing to share the load and James Downey thunderous in the centre,  the indications were that Edinburgh would be made to work hard to achieve the victory most had predicted beforehand.

However, it was Munster who took the initiative right from the restart. Keatley, a commanding presence throughout, kicked them ahead after just two minutes and added the extras when Luke O'Dea scored under the sticks on 58 minutes after Downey had made the break and then brilliantly off-loaded for O'Dea coming on a superb line off his wing for a try that had backs coach Simon Mannix punching the air in celebration.

Denis Hurley had to be quick and brave to stop Visser slipping by on the left hand touchline before Keatley made it a ten point game with eleven minutes to go.

As was to be expected Edinburgh came looking for redress and put themselves in position to snatch at least a draw when Visser scored his third try with seven minutes left on the clock.

And they spent that seven minutes inside the Munster 22 and managed to get to two metres of the Munster line on three occasions. But they never managed to cross the whitewash.

Because Munster were determined they wouldn't.

Munster: D Hurley (S Deasy 75 min); D Howlett capt, C Laulala (I Dineen 65 min) J Downey, L O'Dea; I Keatley, D Williams (P Stringer 72 min); W du Preez ( D Kilcoyne 55 min), D Varley (M Sherry 47 min), BJ Botha; D O'Callaghan, B Holland; P Butler ( D Foley 65 min), S Dougall  (B O'Mahony 71 min), J Coughlan.

Edinburgh Rugby. G Tonks; L Jones, N De Luca, B Atiga, T Visser; G Laidlaw capt, R Rees; J Yapp, R Ford, W Nel; G Gilchrist, S Cox; D Denton, R Rennie, S McInally. Replacements: A Titterrell, A Jacobsen, G Cross, P Parker, D Basilaia, C Leck, G Hunter, J Houston??

Referee: Leighhton Hodges (WRU).

Match Pages - Summary

Match Page - Timeline

Match page - Match Stats

Match Page - Lineups

Munster Rugby E-zine

Sign up to the e-zine to get all the latest news directly to your inbox from Munster Rugby